2016–17 Departmental Results Report
Results at a glance
Key Departmental Achievements
- Began implementing the Investing in Canada plan as the lead department for this Government of Canada initiative.
- Delivered the initial phase of the Investing in Canada plan by launching four new transfer payment programs, accelerating funding under existing programs, transferring funds from older programs and removing the P3 screen. Altogether, Infrastructure Canada committed approximately $9 billion for almost 2,000 new projects, representing over $22 billion in overall infrastructure investments – in addition to ongoing payments from the federal Gas Tax Fund. This is a seven-fold increase in total funding commitments compared to last year.
- Explored new approaches to infrastructure funding and financing by working towards the creation of the Smart Cities Challenge and the new Canada Infrastructure Bank.
- Made progress towards a results culture by collaborating with federal partners to develop a horizontal reporting framework for the Investing in Canada plan.
- Worked with Statistics Canada to develop and launch Canada's Core Public Infrastructure Survey. The Survey will provide a national picture of the current state and performance of infrastructure across Canada, and will be the first national survey regarding core public infrastructure.
- Celebrated the one-year anniversary of the beginning of the construction of the New Champlain Bridge Corridor project in July 2016 and marked important milestones such as, the installation of key components of the bridge's main pylon.
- Continued to work with the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority, the State of Michigan, the U.S. Government, and Canadian federal partners to advance the Gordie Howe International Bridge project and completed the purchase of all Canadian properties required for the border crossing.
What funds were used in 2016-17?
Actual Departmental Spending
Who was involved in 2016-17?
Actual Departmental Full-Time Equivalents
For more information on the Department's plans, priorities and results achieved, see the "Results: what we achieved" section of this report.
- Date modified: